1983 - 1995 Black and White or Green - Letterhead Old English
1996 - 2002 Colour and letterhead changed from Old English to Noverese font
2003 - 2014 Colour with added "Founded 1982"
2015 Colour with "Hills Grammar" on side
A History of the School Crest
From the designer of the School Crest
As many School Crests contain symbols which relate to their geographic position or academic aspirations, I felt it appropriate to include these criteria when designing it.
The triangular shapes at the top indicate the Hills District of Sydney and the climbing direction of learning. Within these shapes were the five stars representing the Southern Cross. Below are the branches of the fruit tree, again symbolising the character of this area. The final inclusion, a target, idealised the need for everyone to have an aim in life.
I am pleased to have had some small connection with the school and its inauguration and wish both staff and students continued success.
Peter Nield N.D.D., A.T.D. (Birm) | Art Master – Oakhill College – 1982
From the Founder of the School
• Concentric circles implies growth
• The branches imply nurturing of growth
• Chevrons imply direction of growth leading upwards to the intellectual jewels and striving for Excellence
Ross Booth | Founder of the School – June 1999
The Hills Grammar School started with three houses launched at the first Swimming Carnival just over a month after the school opened, they were – Rogan House, Pennant House and Castle House.
Another House added - McGrath House
After a lengthy process of consultation with students the student leadership unveiled the new House crest and mottos.
The Hills Grammar School has four Houses; the history behind each is detailed below.
Castle House - BLUE
Castle is named after Castle Hill which itself was so named, it is thought, because of the fine views it afforded of the surrounding area. The area itself was first seen by Governor Arthur Phillip who explored and earmarked the area for farming in 1791. The first mention of the name ‘Castle Hill’ occurs in a dispatch to England, written by Governor Phillip Gidley King, dated March 1, 1802.
“...a great progress has been made in clearing land at Castle Hill, where I hope to sow two hundred acres on the public account this year”
The first settler was Frenchman Baron Verincourt de Clambe. He received a grant of two hundred acres in 1808. It has been suggested that locals, because of De Clambe’s noble status as Baron, commonly called his house ‘The Castle’.
McGrath House - GREEN
McGrath carries the name of the hill which owes its origins to James McGrath (1772-1833), a convict who, along with John Howe, built the first wharf at Windsor and the Parramatta Windsor Road (Macquarie’s Turnpike Road) in 1813. The first use of the name McGrath, in reference to the area, came in 1832 following McGrath’s brief ownership of a farm in 1815. While the ownership was short lived his association with the area and his contribution to settling, opening up and establishing the area have ensured his name has survived.
Pennant House - RED
Legend has it that in the early days of the Hills District a pennant was raised at what is now West Pennant Hills to alert settlers that the Governor of the day had left Sydney and was en route to Parramatta. It is now certain that Pennant Hills was named after the English zoologist, botanist and naturalist Thomas Pennant who was a friend of Sir Joseph Banks. There are several references to this area in early government dispatches with several variations on spelling. Governor Phillip Gidley King refers to Pendant Hill in a 1800 dispatch, “Another stock yard was designed for Government at Pendant Hills in Dundas District but is not yet begun to be enclosed”.
Rogan House - YELLOW
Rogan is named after Rogan’s Hill which is named after John Rogan. who was a convict. He arrived in the colony in 1806, on board the ship “Fortune”, to serve a seven year sentence. He was employed by Gregory Blaxland and was granted 50 acres (20 hectares) of land in 1821 for his own use. The land granted to John Rogan encompassed the area we now know as Rogan’s Hill and is understood to have been situated on the eastern side of what is now Old Northern Road.
Michael van Heeswyk 1982-1985
Michael van Heeswyk was the Inaugural Headmaster of The Hills Grammar School, appointed on 29 October 1982 as having the ideal personality to lead the School in its inaugural year. With feverish activity Michael van Heeswyk saw the School open to 162 students on 7 February 1983 with the first senior school state of the art building, some demountable classrooms, books and equipment purchased, staff appointed, a uniform designed and manufactured, basic landscaping completed, a myriad essential tasks and a demand for enrolments. He adopted a high presence in all aspects of school life, from primary school camps to Headmasters’ Conferences. He put the School in the forefront of technology through the School’s computer program initiated in 1984 and launched in 1985.
Throughout his time as Headmaster Mr Michael van Heeswyk introduced a number of projects aimed at bringing the community together. This involved prominent educationalists and business people invited to address staff, parents and the general public. Under Michael van Heeswyk’s watch there was soaring enrolment and a flourishing School with significant achievements.
“Mr van Heesyk led this establishment through three years punctuated by crises. Despite the traumas which beset our formative years he has brought the School to a point of physical prosperity from which there is no looking back. Furthermore, enrolments are at a maximum, waiting lists healthy and a curriculum well established which will form the basis for continued excellence. He deserves our thanks for having assembled a professional, conscientious body of teachers committed to the ideals of the School and the well-being of the children.” (Management Committee 1986)
Ronald Ayling 1986 – 1995
With a distinguished academic background Ronald Ayling was appointed as The Hills Grammar School’s second Principal in the third term of 1986. He founded The Hills Grammar Society of the Arts in 1987 and presided over much of the School’s building program. He is credited in achieving the completion of 5 major buildings with The Library being opened in 1993. Ron Ayling initiated the Overseas Students program and The Hills Grammar School’s twin school through UNESCO in Shanghai China. He was an advocate for equal opportunity and gender equality and quoting from a past School Councillor “He was a man of his times, and his going was part of the process of shaping the school for the next stage in its development. He had a gentle approach to life, passion for academia, love of the students and commitment to honing the learning experience into a memorable one for all.”
Robert Phipps 1996-2016
Robert Phipps was appointed in January 1996 as the third Principal of The Hills Grammar School. During his time, he targeted the strategic development of the School with reviews and reaffirmation of the School’s vision for education and setting priorities for future development. In 1997 he faced a test case for Independent Schools with an unlawful discrimination case lodged with the Human Rights Commission. He commissioned an audit on the physical environment of the School to improve wheelchair access and was committed to the development of the School as a high quality learning community. The School Development Plan 2001 – 2007 and the 2008 - 2020 strategy was the vision of the School for the future, with the Master Building Plan to focus on Capital works projects, a relaunch of fundraising campaigns for the acquisition of addition land, the refurbishment of school buildings, additional car parking areas, opening of new buildings, a sports precinct and new entry for the school.
The school facilities continued to grow and in 2010 the Early Childhood Education Centre was opened for 3-5-year-old children. Rob Phipps saw his role as Principal to oversee the strategic development of the School and to build a culture of continuous improvement. He expanded the International Education Program and set up the Leaning Enrichment Centre and increased the student capacity of the School. Robert Phipps was a lifelong learner taking sabbatical leave at Oxford University in Management and Leadership Program in 2013 and to Harvard University in 2008. He established the professional learning module at Hills Grammar, recognising that teacher quality has a significant impact on student learning. He was awarded the Presidential Service Award in recognition of the Hills Grammar School’s support of the Rotary exchange student program.
Leadership was a strong focus and as Principal modelled leadership in the School on the notion of servant leadership. He focused on the student learning in the context of the development of the whole person. His love and care for the students, staff and parents of the School was unceasing and noted in his last letter to the School June 2016.
Senior School Captains
1986 | Jodie Wearne
1987 | Liz James
1988 | Nicole Samodol
1989 | Adam McDonald
1990 | Amanda Hutton
1991 | Cassandra Beilby
1992 | Andrew Hansen
1993 | Lani Fried
1994 | Andrew Matthews
1995 | Ben Hall
1996 | Sam Murray
1997 | Barnaby Howarth
1998 | Andrew Poole
1999 | Troy Anthony and Rebecca Kozor
2000 | Todd Stevens and Melissa Ironside
2001 | Anneke Rowe and Cameron Barnsley
2002 | Matthew Hodges and Larissa Stevens
2003 | John Hobby and Yasemin Burmi
2004 | Ashley Howarth and Kieran Campbell
2005 | Jaye Smale and Iain Bylsma
2006 | Stephanie Coombes and Christopher Summers
2007 | Julia van der Hoven and Todd Darvas
2008 | Max Andrew-Kabilafkas and Nicole Hedermann
2009 | Charlie Cox and Rashmi Chary
2010 | Caitlin Carpenter and Nicholas Starr
2011 | Sally Cash and Usman Ashraf
2012 | Harriet Tegal and Alexander Rashleigh
2013 | Tiffany Wu and Jack Andrew-Kabilafkas
2014 | Eliza Tegel and Jerry Boyaji
2015 | Marie Sherry and Sean Murphy
2016 | Anna Coote and Cooper Lee
2017 | Tristan Dearden and Kathryn Solomou
Junior School Captains
1986 | n/a
1987 | Kristina Coombes and Davin Finn
1988 | Clair Whelanand Terence Ho
1989 | Kim Watson and Jeremy Coombes
1990 | Catherine Schrader and Benjamin Dugan
1991 | Douglass Schrader and Caroline Whelan
1992 | Adam Meguid and Samantha Frain
1993 | Josephine Ayling and James Whelan
1994 | Daniel Neave and Megan Walters
1995 | Eric Lobbes and Bronwen Morgan
1996 | Alexander Meguid and Delta Goodrem
1997 | Deborah Fletcher and Andrew McKinnon
1998 | Amanda Wheatley and Christopher Smith
1999 | Jaye Smale and Christopher Barrett
2000 | Michelle Cutts and Timothy Wheatley
2001 | Jenny McDonald and James Wheatley
2002 | Jodie Wheatley and Luke Manning
2003 | Rashmi Chary and Charles Cox
2004 | Montana Mays and Nicholas Starr
2005 | Ashleigh Morgan and Jason Hesse
2006 | Charlotte Zammit and Ryan Crimi
2007 | Eden Faithfull and Luke Romic
2008 | Jessica Funda and Jackson Lee
2009 | Olivia Dressler Smith and JK Kassi
2010 | Anna Coote and Cooper Lee
2011 | Laura Romeo and Joshua Kazzi
2012 | Chelsea McVay and Ethan Tegel
2013 | Mackenzie Leach and Arjun Kalyanakumar
2014 | Whitney Wales and Michael Sherry
2015 | Kristy Hampson and Teague Lilley
2016 | Bailey Leach and William Davidson
2017 | Ruby Cook and Rory Wilson
1983 – 1984 Robert Yandell
1985 - Gordon Jones
1986 - 1988 Carolyn Smale
1988 – 1989 Bill Peel
1990 – 1991 Alan Jones
1991 – 1992 Phil Banister
1993 – 1996 Lance Dowle
1996 – 1997 Michael Green
Presidents: Family and Friends Association (FAFA)
1993 – 1994 Jan Frain’
1994 – 1995 Lea Goodrem
1995 – 1996 Georgia Hughes
1996 – 1997 Eileen Stratford
(Name change to PAFA)
Presidents: Parents & Friends Association Inc. (PAFA)
1997 - 1998 Peter Bray (Previously known as Parents Association)
1998 - 2000 Eileen Stratford
2001 - 2002 John Dakin
2003 - 2008 Mr Ken Chester
2008 - 2009 Paula Leverett
2009 - 2011 George Kazzi
2012 – 2014 Mark Rice
2014 - 2015 Kathryn Perriman
2015 – 2016 Dana Coleman
(Note: In 1996 and 1997 there were three Associations – Parents Association, FAFA, and EXPO)
EXPO (Ex-Parents Organisation)
1996 President – Margaret Hatton (EXPO ceased in 1997)