On Monday 5 June our Senior School students with either a learners permit or provisional licence were invited to undertake the Mercedes Benz First Gear Driving Program. At Hills Grammar we are fortunate to have a professional partnership with Mercedes Benz Parramatta. Mercedes Benz hosted their ‘First Gear Program – Young Driver Training’ at Eastern Creek Raceway. This event was put together for Hills Grammar students only. It was an amazing day and an incredible opportunity for our students.
First Gear Program is a hands on Driver Training Program aimed at learners and provisional license holders. Students drove the latest Mercedes vehicles under the expert tuition of professional drivers. Topics covered include:
- Correct seating and driving position including mirror setup
- Understanding modern motor vehicle technology
- Understanding vehicle capabilities
- Recognising risks
- Avoiding dangers
- Handling critical driving situations
- Emergency braking practice
- Brake and avoid techniques
- Recognising loss of control on the road (skid pan)
- Recognising stopping distances relevant to driving conditions
- Experiencing how different sized vehicles respond
Once again a big thank you to Mercedes Benz Parramatta for helping make our young drivers safer drivers.
Yass Sidaros | Director of Co-curricular Programs Pre K - 12